Tuesday, October 10, 2006

There's so much to say!

Wow, I don't even know where to begin! I have been having an incredible time.
This past week, our lecture from Monday through Tuesday was still with Al Akimoff and it was about intercession/prayer. Then from Wednesday to Friday it was "Relationships" with Dean Sherman. I had heard a lot about Dean before I even knew much about YWAM, because there has been a rumor that the Simpsons character Ned Flanders was modeled after him (in looks and voice tone only, not personality!) Sadly, the rumors aren't true, but there is an uncanny resemblance. He was a terrific speaker, though. I learned SO much from him about relationships and love. I expected his lectures to be just about romance, and even though that was a huge part of it, the emphasis was on loving one another. It was just very powerful. The book we're reading right now is Intimate Friendship with God by Joy Dawson. At first glance, it seems like a very fundamental book filled with things I already know, but after reading it more carefully I am getting a lot out of it. Right now we have Kipp Gaines here and he's speaking about "The Character and Nature of God". Oh my goodness, it's going to be a powerful week, but I'll get into that hopefully next weekend for you!

I have been challenged and stretched so much since I've been here. This past week, I helped lead worship twice... yes, you read that right. I really felt God convicting me to use my voice to give Him glory, and so I did. The first night was last Tuesday. We have a service called "The Rising" which is like a church service, and the whole base attends, as well as anyone in the community. The second time was on Friday, and that was just worship for our DTS class. Strangely enough, I was more nervous the second time! But it is an incredible thing. I've been so fearful to sing in front of people for so long, and it's a huge release to let that go and just trust God. He is awesome!

Also last Friday we did our first community outreach, which was basically just talking to people downtown. Salem has a rather large homeless population. Anyway, we split into teams and I was with Vlady, and also Ryan who is on staff here and coordinates our local outreach. We were "required" to talk to at least one person and hopefully have a conversation about God and eventually pray for them about something. Both of them went first and then it was my turn. I was so scared! I just didn't want to do it. But as soon as I walked up to the man I needed to talk to, I just felt this huge blanket of fear completely fall off of me. It was awesome; I was so free! And my conversation with him was the most successful one our team had. So that was really, really encouraging.

I finally went to the coast this past weekend... and saw the ocean for the first time! It was beautiful! I have so many pictures to share, but I forgot the chord that connects my camera to a computer... so until my mom mails that to me, you will have to wait. But I'm dying to show you everything that's been happening!

Really quickly, I wanted to give you some things to be praying for...

Outreach- that we'll get our outreach schedule confirmed for Thailand and be prepared to minister to the people there. We're hoping to be able to work in refugee camps with Burmese people. We also will probably teach english in schools, and a ton of other things. As soon as I know, I'll let you know!
Money- even though my personal fees were paid for by you (God is awesome!), a lot of my classmates still have money that's owed. Collectively it's about $15,000! Also, because our DTS was so small, even with all 7 of us paying our personal fees, it's not enough to cover the DTS costs. The staff here has thrown in as much as they can, and they really believe in us, and know there's some reason we're so small. The Galileans are doing a ton of fundraising just for us. God is great. Please be praying that the base will receive what they need! Thank you.
Focus- please be praying that we'll be focused on Christ and cultivating our relationships with Him.

Gosh, there's so much more to say, but I am exhausted and still have homework to do tonight. I want to leave you with this song that Dave played the first week I was here. It really touched me, but he doesn't know anything about it. I can't find any information on Google about it. If you know who sings it or where I can get a copy of it, let me know... Dave's not even sure what it's called. But anyway, it just describes so much of what I feel right now!

I have this longing inside me
This longing to know You the way I am known
My heart is waiting, anticipating a touch from the One that I love
I am Yours, You are mine, touch me now
Let love awaken and flow with abandon to You

I want to love You the way that You love me
To love You with that kind of love
So pour down upon me a river of longing
A fountain that flows from your heart
I am Yours, You are mine, touch me now
Let love awaken and flow with abandon to You

I know there's only one thing I have needed
And that is what I'm looking for
Help me to find You and hold You and keep You
Forever the Love of my heart
I am Yours, You are mine, touch me now
Let love awaken and flow with abandon to You

I want to love You the way that You love me
To love You with that kind of love
So pour down upon me a river of longing
A fountain that flows from your heart
I am Yours, You are mine, touch me now
Let love awaken and flow with abandon to You

1 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Just Jess said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home