Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hello from Thailand

Hey everyone! I wanted to let you all know what has been happening here in Thailand. Thank you so much for all of your prayers and thoughts! I am so thankful for all of you.

The flights into Thailand were relatively smooth, although I was pretty sick and ended up running fevers on both flights. The air pressure really hurt my ears (they still have yet to completely pop, actually) and was terrible on my nose (I had bloddy noses at both take-offs). But, they were safe and weren't delayed, so that is hugely important.

We arrived into Thailand very early on Tuesday morning. We haven't had time to shake off jet lag, but it hasn't really been too big of an issue. The first 2 days we spent in Bangkok doing orientation. The first day we did a scavenger hunt around the area, and the 2nd day we went into downtown Bangkok and visited some of the Buddhist temples.

We have been in Watthana Nakohn the past few days, and we'll be here til the 18th. We were told it's a "small village", but it doesn't seem that small! We are teaching english for 2 hours every weekday at a local school. It is an amazing opportunity to really develop relationships with the students and also present the gospel while teaching. It's very exciting! We're teaching 3 different classes, so we paired up boy/girl... Mike and I are teaching the 6th graders. They are so smart and already know a ton of english.

I've already had a couple of stand-out moments since I've been in Thailand. I swear that I'm part Thai, because a part of Thai culture is that they're shy and they smile a lot. That is so me! So, in a lot of ways, I fit in really well. Before I came here, people told me that my smile would even minister to people. And I've found this to be true, especially on the days when I was not feeling good, and could only muster up the energy to smile. When we were coming to Watthana Nakhon (about a 2 hour drive from Bangkok), a lot of vehicles that passed us would honk and the people would smile and wave. I often felt like I was in a parade with my returning grins. Eventually I just started initiating the smiles and the waves to be friendly. Every single time, I would receive a beautiful Thai grin back, except for this one vehicle. I don't remember the specifics, I think it may have been a pick-up truck. But there were 3 Thai people riding on it, with beautiful brown skin. They had "hard" looks. I smiled at them, expecting a smile or wave in return, but there was nothing. Just the same, blank stare. It really struck me that it's going to take more than smiles to open up some doors, to tear down some walls. Sometimes it makes me feel almost hopeless, like what do I have to offer them?

I had a similar experience when we visited a hospital yesterday. We were handing out literature to the patients there, and also just talking to people. I walked into one hospital room and saw a man laying on the hospital bed with his legs completely twisted. I didn't know what to do. I still don't know what I should have done. How do you react to that? What can you say? I wanted to sit down with him and find out his story, and just be an ear to listen. But I can't even do that with the language barrier. It can be so frustrating. Thankfully, we do have a translator working with us. He is amazing! His name is Wuut (pronounced like "woot") and he speaks really great english, actually.

There was one other incredible moment. During recess on the first day we taught at the school, the children surrounded us and were taking our autographs. I started to cry, with these 20 beautiful Thai children surrounding me. It made me so upset that just because I'm white, I'm viewed as so much higher, or so special, or so much more important. I despise it! I hate that our world works this way. The only redeeming thing from it, is that when you come to a place like this, being white opens doors for communication. But it desperately pains me that these children somehow view me as more valuable just because my skin is lighter. But I also cried because I never thought I'd have a moment like that. I never thought I'd make a difference in the world, and God is showing me that I already have. I don't really know how to explain it, but God is showing me so much. Please be praying that I can keep up with Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home