Thursday, November 29, 2007

Life for me right now

Hey everyone! I'm sorry I haven't updated for a while. I started a job in August, so unfortunately, I haven't had as much free time as before. :)



I am currently working full-time at Brethren Village Retirement Community as a housekeeper. It is a very interesting job to say the least, and God is constantly teaching me valuable lessons every day. The work I am doing is quite humbling, not just because of the tasks, but because of the low pay. My boss and I both agree that God brought me to Brethren Village, and I view it as more of a ministry than a job. I have had so many great opportunities to listen to residents and have had some fantastic conversations and interactions. Wednesday through Friday I work in the rehabilitation wing of the health care center, and I am finding it so easy to be able to use one of my giftings: encouragement! I love knowing that God is using me there, and I am often looking forward to going to work every day (which I definitely can't say for the job I had in Madison!)

One thing God has been teaching and showing me is the reality of death. I've seen several residents deteriorate rather rapidly, and even cleaned out one lady's room just a couple hours after she passed away... it was a very real realization that we truly can't take anything with us when we die. Another thing I've learned is how valuable the elderly are; as a teenager, I was very impatient and had a very poor attitude toward my elders. More than ever, I have such respect for them and their wisdom, as well as their kindness and patience. There is so much I am learning from the residents there, and I've even developed a friendship with a sweet lady named Louise. We go out for coffee every Friday and have great conversations about everything! I'm so happy God put her in my life. :)



Despite all this, I am aching to get back out onto the missions field. Last week, I realized how soon it's going to happen. School Of Frontier Missions begins at the end of March, which is less than 4 months away! Even though I'm really looking forward to SOFM, the past few days I have been feeling incredibly discouraged. It's frustrating me that my faith in God is so tiny, when He so abundantly provided for me last year through all of you! I am sure that you all are still behind me as partners/supporters, but I have moments where I am full of so much doubt and worry. If you could please pray for me, I would appreciate it so much. I love that God has called me to GO (after about 3 years of praying "Here am I, send me!" Isaiah 6:8) but as time gets closer, I'm actually feeling quite scared and apprehensive. It is a very difficult thing for me to think about leaving all of you for a full year, but yet I also know that it's worth it and this is what He wants me to do. Also, all I need to do is look at pictures like this and I am reminded that YES, I NEED to go!!!

"It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known..." - Paul (Romans 15:20)

1 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hey Leah, thanks so much for your prayers and support. It means a ton to us to hear of people all over the world praying for us. God bless.

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home